Lorrie Shaw tackles the difficult issue of Death and Dying in today’s episode. She also discusses the Fear Free movement.
The incredible Lorrie Shaw owns a pet sitting service in the Ann Arbor, Michigan area called Professional Pet Sitting. She is also a writer with her own blog entitled, “Animals Unfolded.” Lorrie is one of our favorite guests, spreading knowledge about animal behavior and care, and making it more accessible to the masses.
Lorrie Shaw Resources
- “Animals Unfolded” Blog http://lorrieshaw.blogspot.com
- Professional Pet Sitting http://lorrieshaw.com
- Facebook https://www.facebook.com/ppslorrie/
- If you want to listen to our first episode with Lorrie, it’s at http://thisispawprint.com/63
Spelling Bee word!
Palliative is relieving pain without dealing with the cause of the condition.
- Debbie Jacobs is founder of Fearful Dogs http://fearfuldogs.com
- Dr. Marty Becker is founder of the Fear Free initiative https://fearfreepets.com
- Lorrie mentions several pheromone or nutraceutical solutions for reducing your pet’s anxiety
- Feliway by Comfort Zone
- Adaptil by Comfort Zone
- Zylkene by Vetoquinol
Other Resources not discussed in the episode
- BJ Miller, MD… specialist in human palliative/Hospice care
- Zen Hospice Project https://www.zenhospice.org/about/our-history
- Lifespan Doula Association https://www.lifespandoulas.com/
- (Animal hospice often draws from the human hospice model)
- International Assn of Animal Hospice and Palliative Care: https://www.iaahpc.org/
- Dr. Kathleen Cooney, DVM http://kathleencooneydvm.com/
Thanks to Drew Ackerman, host of the Sleep With Me podcast, for connecting us with Lorrie. Drew’s podcast helps with insomnia and other forms of sleeplessness.
About Nancy and Harold Rhee
We have been married over 20 years, fostered over 60 dogs in the past four years, and we love animal rescue and the amazing people who dedicate their lives. And of course, the dogs and cats!
If you want to learn more about Nancy and Harold, go to our About Us page at http://thisispawprint.com/about or listen to our introductory podcast episode, “Fifty Puppies and a Podcast.” http://thisispawprint.com/000
Pawprint (or Paw Print) is a weekly podcast dedicated to animal rescue, adoption, and the heroes who make it happen. Volunteer, walk, adopt, or foster a dog, cat, rabbit, or other wonderful pet through your local shelter, humane society, SPCA, pound, and animal control. Stop abuse, and help increase animal protection, welfare, and rights. http://thisispawprint.com http://animalrescuepodcast.com
Don’t miss any new episodes. Sign up for our email list.
If you want to join our animal rescue community and receive two free bonus dog-training resources from Irith Bloom, positive reinforcement dog trainer, go to http://thisispawprint.com/ask. Irith can be found at http://www.thesophisticateddog.com/
About Pawprint’s Music
All of Pawprint’s music is composed by Luke Gartner-Brereton. Luke is based in Australia, and he composes a wide variety of songs and musical loops http://vanillagroovestudios.com http://soundcloud.com/luke-gartnerbrereton
Share this post on social media